Natalie C. Ebner, Ph.D.
Dr. Natalie C. Ebner
Department of Psychology
University of Florida College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
P.O. Box 112250
Gainesville, FL 32611-2250
Phone: (203) 691-0371
Office: 082 Psychology Building
Website: Department of Psychology Profile; Ebner Lab Website
Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Florida College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Dr. Ebner’s research adopts an aging perspective on emotion, motivation, and social cognition and thus is at the intersection of developmental, social, and cognitive psychology. In particular, her research program focuses on examining the extent to which emotional (e.g., faces displaying different emotion expressions, positive and negative personality traits) and self-relevant information (e.g., related to one’s own age, personal goals and agendas, age stereotypes) affect attention, decision making, and memory, how these effects change across the adult lifespan, and what the consequences are for emotion regulation, health, and well-being. She conducts experimental research using a multi-methods approach that combines convergent measures, including self-report, behavior observation, eye tracking, genetics, hormonal markers, and functional neuroimaging techniques, with the aim to integrate introspective, behavioral, and neurobiological data. Some of my recent work is interventional with a specific orientation towards improvement of emotional, motivational, and social functioning in aging such as via medicinal products (e.g., oxytocin administration) as well as neurofeedback training.
Pre-Diploma (B.S.), Psychology, Free University Berlin
Diploma (M.A.), Psychology, Free University Berlin
Dr. phil. (Ph.D.), Psychology, Free University Berlin
- Bailey, P. E., Ebner, N. C., Moustafa, A. A., *Phillips, J. R., *Leon, T., & Weidemann. G. (in press). The weight of advice in older age. Decision.
- *Frazier, I., *Lin, T., *Liu, P., *Skarsten, S., Feifel, D., & Ebner, N. C. (in press). Age and intranasal oxytocin effects on trust-related decisions: Behavioral and brain evidence. Psychology and Aging.
- *Horta, M., *Pehlivanoglu, D., & Ebner, N. C. (in press). The iole of Intranasal oxytocin on social cognition: An Integrative Human Lifespan Approach. Current Behavioral Neuroscience Reports.
- *Pehlivanoglu, D., *Myers, E., & Ebner, N. C. (in press). Tri-Phasic Model of Oxytocin (TRIO): A systematic conceptual review of oxytocin-related ERP research. Biological Psychology.
- Ebner, N. C., *Ellis, D. M., *Lin. T., *Rocha, H. A., *Yang. H., *Dommaraju, S., *Soliman, A., Woodard, D. L., Turner, G. R., Spreng, R. N., & Oliveira, D. S. (2020). Uncovering susceptibility risk to online deception in aging. Journal of Gerontology: Series B. DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gby036. PubMed PMID: 29669133.
- *Horta, M., *Kaylor, K., Feifel, D., & Ebner, N. C. (2020). Chronic oxytocin administration as a tool for investigation and treatment: A cross-disciplinary systematic review. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 108, 1-23. DOI: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2019.10.012. PubMed PMID: 31647964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6949379.
- *Laurita, A. C., *DuPre, E., Ebner, N. C., Turner, G. R. & Spreng, R. N. (2020). Default network interactivity during mentalizing about known others is modulated by age and social closeness. Social Cognition and Affective Neuroscience. https://doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsaa067
- *Strickland-Hughes, C. M., *Dillon, K. E., West, R. L., & Ebner, N. C. (2020). Own-age bias in face-name associations: Evidence from memory and visual attention in younger and older adults. Cognition. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1016/j.cognition.2020.104253 PMID: 32192981
- *Cortes, D. S., Laukka, P., Ebner, N. C., & Fischer, H. (2019). Age-related differences in evaluation of social attributes from computer-generated faces of varying intensity. Psychology and Aging. DOI: 10.1037/pag0000364. [Epub ahead of print]. PubMed PMID: 31157537.
- *Frazier, I., Lighthall, N. R., *Horta, M., *Perez, E., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). CISDA: Changes in integration for social decisions in aging. WIREs Cognitive Science, 10:e1490. DOI: 10.1002/wcs.1490. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed PMID: 30605250.
- *Horta, M., *Ziaei, M., *Lin, T., *Porges, E. C., Fischer, H., Feifel, D., Spreng, R. N., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Oxytocin alters patterns of brain activity and amygdalar connectivity by age during dynamic facial emotion identification. Neurobiology of Aging, 78, 42-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2019.01.016 PMID: 30870779; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6545147.
- *Lin, T., Capecci, D., *Ellis, D., *Rocha, H., *Dommaraju S., Oliveira, D. S., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Susceptibility to spear-phishing emails: Effects of internet user demographics and email content. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 26(5), 1-28. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7274040
- *Lin, T., Fischer, H., Johnson, M. K., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). The effects of face attractiveness on face memory depend on both age of perceiver and age of face. Cognition and Emotion. DOI: 10.1080/02699931.2019.1694491. PMID: 31747845
- *Lussier, D., Cruz-Almeida, Y., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Musculoskeletal pain and brain morphology: Oxytocin’s potential as a treatment for chronic pain in aging. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. PMID: 31920621 PMCID: PMC6923678
Oliveira, D. S., *Lin, T., *Rocha, H., *Ellis, D., *Dommaraju, S., *Yang, H., *Weir, D., *Marin, S., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Empirical analysis of weapons of influence, life domains, and demographic-targeting in modern spam – An age-comparative perspective. Crime Science, 8:3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40163-019-0098-8 PMID: 31231604. PMCID: PMC6588014
- *Plasencia, G., Luedicke, J. M., Nazarloo, H. P., Carter, C. S., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Plasma oxytocin and vasopressin levels in young and older men and women: Functional relationships with attachment and cognition. Psychoneuroendocrinology.doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2019.104419. Epub ahead of time. PubMed PMID: 31606581; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6943921.
- *Subils, J. B., *Perez, J., *Liu, P., *Engram, S., *Cetin, C., Goldgof, D., Ebner, N. C., Oliveira, D. S., & Ligatti, J. (2019). A dual-task interference game-based experimental framework for comparing the usability of authentication methods. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Human System Interaction (HSI). http://www.cse.usf.edu/~ligatti/papers/game-authus.pdf
- *Szymkowicz, S. M., Woods, A. J., Dotson, V. M., Porges, E. C., *Nissim, N. R., *O’Shea, A., Cohen, R. A., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Associations between subclinical depressive symptoms and reduced brain volume in middle-aged to older adults. Aging & Mental Health, 23(7), 819-830. doi: 10.1080/13607863.2018.1432030.
- *Ziaei, M., Persson, J., Bonyadi, M. R., Reutens, D. C., & Ebner, N. C. (2019). Amygdala
functional network during recognition of own-age vs. other-age faces in younger and older adults.
Neuropsychologia, 129, 10-20. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2019.03.003.